Tuesday, January 6, 2009

And...we're there!

Alright! After only a small mishap -- I left my wallet in the car (oops!) after being dropped off at the airport, but I got it back -- I was off! Thank goodness.

And after just a few hours of flying (about 21), we arrived in Kilimanjaro airport safe and sound (and looking good as all get out)!
Please note that Tim is wearing his international volunteer shirt...which meant that I never put mine on.

To be brief: the weather is hot, but not humid (whew), my skirts below my knees and shirts that cover my shoulders are rockin', there's a lot of curry in the food here (all of which has been delicious thus far), and everything's green and gorgeous as all get out. I have even heard tell of a bakery with cake...in the next few days i'm going to try and hunt that puppy down.

Orientation was wonderfully brief, less than a day and a half -- and we're off into our placements as of today. My swahili is coming along polepole (slowly), but it's coming all the same!

This morning I got my first clear glimpse of Mount Kilimanjaro from the front yard of our house. Not too shabby, huh?

More later about my placement, but I did teach a group of kids the "dum-dum-dada" camp song yesterday (big hit), and earned the nick name "Dum-Dum"...either that or "Dada"...I'm not clear which.

Also, if you're interested in a post card, give me your address and I'll see what the Tanzanian Postal Service and I can work out!

2 comments:

  1. Yeah! I am glad that you have arrived safely and and doing your thing with the kids! I am sure they totally love you. Keep posting. We miss you in Berkeley. MK

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom, posted a comment before me!!! Man, she's quick. I'm so glad you made it safe, with your wallet. Man if I had a nickel for every time you didn't have your wallet! That is an amazing picture. And when you're eating your cake please think of me.

    FYI: this is the most amazing blog ever.
    Miss you in Berkeley x infinity,
    Britt

    ReplyDelete

Followers