Monday, April 6, 2009

I swear I'm in China

So, I've noticed that there are some very familiar things around Shanghai. Perhaps I've mentioned the high number of KFC's and Pizza Huts around (the later of which is much more upscale here than in the US). There are also lots of Starbucks; they're not quite as prolific as in the US (I haven't yet seen two across the street from each other), but I have run into them in many unexpected places. In fact, almost every day when I go out exploring I run into a new one.
Here are a few pictures of the nicest looking ones I've found:


I especially like the free samples being given out in front of this one.


Also, as I was walking around today I came across something that actually made me stop in my tracks. Here it is:If you look closely, "The Coffee Bean" has been translated into Chinese characters. And if you look extra close you'll also notice that the people sitting outside are all caucasian. I could have been in Washington DC's China Town (full of US chains like Ann Taylor and Fudruckers...but with signs in and English and Chinese). And I don't even see too many Coffee Beans in northern California, so to see one in Shanghai, whew.

However, I decided not to go into the Coffee Bean, and instead proceeded to a cafe called Mia's, which has a wonderful selection of both western food and chinese food and a rockin art-deco atmosphere. I also discovered that the chocolate cake at Mia's is de-li-cious. Mmmm, chocolate cake.

Oh, and just because, here's a video of some adolescent pandas playing:

Sorry, I can't figure out how to turn it 90 degrees to upright.

1 comment:

  1. Traveling is one of those great unifiers, don't you thin? From your picture people dress and appear to do the same things over there as they do here.

    It is strange to think of people as our enemies when we know nothing about them. That's the down side of patriotism.

    love you,
    Mllelulu

    ReplyDelete

Followers