Friday, March 13, 2009

TFT

TFT: Tanzanian Flex Time ...meaning that sometimes things don't happen in the time frame that you'd expect. For instance: I wanted to post pictures about 3 weeks ago, but it's only happening now.

But hey, the pictures are the same as they were 3 weeks ago!!

After climbing Meru, Tim and I went back to Moshi for a night and then continued onto Mombassa, Kenya. After we spent a few days in Mombassa with our fellow volunteers Dana, Michelle and Lou, we headed down to Dar es Salaam and then took a ferry to Zanzibar. Whew, there were a lot of buses involved in all that travel.

Once in Zanzibar, I abandoned all buses in favor of my own two feet (for anywhere in town), shared taxis (to get between towns), and finally a plane or two (to get back state-side). Zanzibar had more mzungu than I'd seen since getting to Tanzania, and it took a little while to adjust to that, but the white sand beaches and beautiful turquoise water really helped. Here are some pictures from Zanzibar:

Here are some pictures from Zanzibar:

Market in Stone Town.


Girls walking home from school in Nungwi, on the north coast of Zanzibar.

Tim and Dana playing frisbee in the Indian Ocean.



Part of our Spice Tour...who knew that so many spices came from here? Vanilla, cinnamon, cardomon, cumin, cloves, and on and on!



Dhow, a traditional boat, coming back in from a day of fishing...if I liked fish Zanzibar would have been the place to eat it. Fresh octopus, squid, swordfish, tuna, baracuda, and more!

And, as promised weeks ago,
here are pics from the trek up Mt Meru:
Here's Mt Meru...just a little bit to go...


I've fallen and I can't get up...


If you look closely at this picture you will see green spots painted on the rocks...that's the path that we climbed at 2:30 in the morning...the green was not visible at that time.


Another part of the path cutting along the mountain's edge up to the top.

View of Kili, you can also see the path we walked up to the summit.


Apparently I no longer have the strength to keep my body upright. But by golly I'm throwing a thumbs up through all my black outerwear.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers